If you’re a serious or advanced bread baker, you know that not every tilt-head stand mixer is created equal. And you don’t want to just purchase the shiniest mixer when dealing with mixing bread.
There are key features the right stand mixer needs to have since bread dough is a lot different than other types of dough and batters.
If you prefer making bread without a bread maker, you should invest in the best kitchen mixer and the right stand mixer for bread dough.
So, what’s the best stand mixer for bread? We’re going to find out in the buyer's guide below and we’re going to share our best tips for using a stand mixer!
Our Tips for Using a Mixer for Bread
Before we reveal the best kitchen mixer for mixing and kneading bread dough, we want to share some tips on using stand mixers.
We know the process of baking bread is difficult, so let’s make it just a tad bit easier.
- The beater or whisk should not touch the bottom of the mixing bowl. Instead, it should be ever-so-slightly raised from the bottom. Make sure you adjust it just right before you start mixing. You can check the distance by placing a penny or a dime in the center of the bowl and running your whisk on low. If the beater moves the dime, it’s at the perfect distance from the bottom of the bowl. Finding the right distance will ensure that the beater gathers all the ingredients and prevents the whisk from scuffing up your mixing bowl.
- If you haven’t used your kitchen mixer in a while, let it run on low for a few minutes before you start mixing. This way you can catch any oil leaks right away and it warms up to run more smoothly.
- Before starting, make sure the hinges are tightened as they can loosen over time. For a tilt-head stand mixer, these hinges are where the head connects to the body of the stand mixer.
- Always make sure you’re using the right whisk or paddle for bread dough (or any other baking projects you’re working on). Using the wrong paddle can affect your dough or even damage the paddle.
- When mixing bread dough, start with the dry ingredients first. Once they’re thoroughly mixed, add the wet ingredients.
- Never scrape the ingredients from the sides of a mixing bowl while you’re using the mixer. Your spatula or any other tool you’re using will get caught in the whisks, damaging both. Instead, whenever there’s too much coated on the sides of your bowl, turn the stand mixer off long enough to scrape it off.
- To make clean up easier, tilt the head back when you’re done with your mixer. Run it on low speed so some of the dough stuck to the beater will drop back into the bowl.
- If you don’t use your stand mixer on a daily basis, you should protect it from dust buildup. You can drape a towel over the mixer to cover it.
Best Stand Mixer for Bread
It’s not easy picking out the best stand mixer for bread making. There are so many quality and heavy-duty mixer brands out there. But after a lot of research and a lot of analyzing, we chose the Cuisinart Brushed Chrome SM-55BC Stand Mixer!
So, why did we choose the Cuisinart SM-55BC Stand Mixer?
- This stand mixer is made of stainless steel, a die-cast metal. It’s heavy-duty, durable, and strong. It can take a beating and it’s going to last you years and years, making it worth every penny.
- The brushed chrome surface makes the mixer shiny and sleek. It will go with most modern kitchens and stainless steel appliances, regardless of decor.
- One of its key features is a tilt-back head, meaning you can tilt the head of the stand mixer back to change whisks or add ingredients. In most cases, bowl tilts are a plus for bread dough since the motor has a higher torque because it’s located in the base. However, this stand mixer delivers the best of both worlds, giving you a tilt head without sacrificing a strong motor.
- The mixing arm of this mixer locks when it’s down and in place. This stops it from moving around while mixing dough that’s even the thicker and tougher bread dough.
- The motor has 800 watts of crazy power that’s capable of mixing heavier bread dough. Despite the high watt motor, it still runs almost noiselessly.
- It has 12 different speeds to choose from, whether you need to mix fast or take your time while adding other ingredients.
- The slow-start function on this mixer makes sure you don’t turn it on at full blast, creating a mess in your kitchen.
- The stainless steel bowl holds 5 and a half quarts. You can use it to double recipes as needed which is great when you're making cookies. It has an ergonomic handle so it’s comfortable to handle.
- It comes with a splash guard with a feed chute. You can prevent messes while mixing at high speeds and add more ingredients during the process if needed.
- Several attachments come with this stand mixer and there are tons that you can purchase separately, including a pasta attachment. The best attachment for bread making purposes is a dough hook for kneading. Kneading is a tortuous process but this hook makes it easier on your hands.
- There’s a countdown timer that comes in handy when certain bread dough takes a specific amount of time to mix, proof, or knead.
- All attachments are dishwasher safe, making clean up easier on you.
The Bottom Line
If you’re a newbie at baking bread or an advanced baker, you’re going to love the Cuisinart stand mixer. This artisan stand mixer is perfect for bread dough and doesn’t get the attention it rightly deserves.